Monday 20 July 2015

Lifestyle: Why I chose the 'earn as you learn' route

Last week it was my 2 year 'workaversary' (work + anniversary = workaversary... see what I did there!). I thought now would be the perfect time to write about why I chose an Apprenticeshop and try to (hopefully) help others make a decision if they weren't 100% sure on what to do...Enjoy, x
I never intended to head off to university, I couldn't imagine LIVING anywhere but Bristol, and when it came to Sixth Form in 2012 further education wasn't  compulsory, which meant that I wasn't really bothered about taking on tricky subjects for some extra points that I may (or may not) need for university. I wanted to do subjects that I knew I would ENJOY, but I also just wanted to have some fun with my friends (I had so much free time). I chose Media Studies, English Language, Sociology and Btec Health & Social studies.
After completing multiple mocks and my final year12 exams, I knew that 6th form wasn't for me! The best result I achieved in an exam was a D... Did I really want to come out of further education 2 years down the line with a grade D? Absolutely not! So this is around the time I started to look for an apprenticeship...I've always wanted to be a qualified (and a very good) Estate Agent, but most apprenticeships offered an hourly rate of £2.65, and I was not prepared to work 40 hours a week for that amount! I could obviously only turn down a job if I actually passed the interview stage which, in my case, took several attempts!
After I had finished all of my exams and applied for endless amounts of apprenticeships, I needed to hand in my 'leavers form' which meant Sixth Form was over for good. I had no job, no university offer and no go-to college course. On the day I handed in my form, I received a call from somebody who asked me if I wanted to attend an interview for an administrator role for a Mortgage & Protection advice business! I had a really good feeling about this call, and I.M.O the interview went really well. I changed my CV, the way I answered questions, and the way I presented myself. By the end of the day, I was informed that I'd got the job! I remember celebrating with chocolate cake (that's the way to celebrate everything).
Full time work was very different to Sixth Form, where I could go home at lunchtime and 'chill with my friends', but there was something very satisfying about receiving a pay check at the end of the month. It was MY money; I had earned it, and at the same time I was learning how to work in an office environment and at the same time developing my people skills. I didn't have to go to college once a week; I had a learning mentor who visited me approx. every 2 months to make sure my progress was on track. Every now and then I would need to write 'college' assignments, but I was happy to do this because the tasks were not tricky, and I was being paid during the working week.
1 year later – It’s fair to say that I missed my friends a lot during their first year. The majority of my group had left for university, (All over the UK; Plymouth, London, Leeds, Wales) and I was still in Bristol! I think one of the hardest things during this time was the fact that some of my friends were also having a bad time (feeling homesick) and there wasn't a lot I / they could do about it. 
For me, I was coming to the end of my apprenticeship and couldn't believe that a year had passed so quickly! I had been nominated as a finalist in the Business & Admin Bristol Post and Bath Chronicle's Apprenticeship Awards... Ok so I didn't win, but it was a really nice evening out, it's a great thing to put on my CV and it's always nice to hear that you've made the right decision!
2 years later - Moving Experience have since taken on a new Administrator who supports me in the business daily. I'm currently studying for exams so I can become a qualified Para Planner.. No I'm not an Estate Agent (or training to be one) but I think that I was sugar-coating that job to be something it's not. Both my friends at university and in Bristol seem to be a lot happier, and I think we all agreed that 2014/15 felt like it finished a lot quicker than the first year. Whilst my Bristol mates have made new friends, and I sometimes feel like not a lot is happening to me, there are at least 13 weeks during half-term & holiday time which I can use to spend time with them in Bristol, or I can always pop up and visit and vice versa..
Eventually, everybody has to grow up and potentially this may means moving away. I just remind myself that it can be a lot tougher for them because they need to make new friends, learn to live on a budget and move into a house with total strangers!
My top tips for you: 
1) Everybody gets nervous (including me!). It can be daunting for anybody if they're told that they need to make new friends, or learn a completely new & different set of skills!  2) If you have decided to go to university, make sure you check out the opening days. You don't want to choose the right course, at the wrong place!
3) If you're not sure about university, leave it for a year. Go travelling, save money, complete a college course in the subject that you intend to study further.  These could all benefit you in different ways.
4) Not interested in University or an Apprenticeship? Don't worry, there are so many different things that you can do.E.g. The Army, or Full-time employment. Book an appointment at your local Connexions to receive some more information and details about all of the options available.
5) Don't make decisions based on a relationship. If you did break up with your partner after deciding to stay at home and you've passed up the option of University, a placement abroad, The Army, etc; then you will feel like you've wasted some great opportunities. You can always learn to make it work.

Please feel free to comment if you found a successful alternative! Or if you have any ideas for future blog posts, I would love to hear them!
Thanks for reading,
Yvette Marie xo
Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment