Saturday 15 August 2015

HOW TO: Make Cake Pops!

It looks like August is the month for birthdays (in my family anyway) which means lots of birthday cake! For my sister's 30th, she threw a big birthday bash earlier in the month, and I made these sponge pop cakes for everybody to tuck into! I'm not 100% sure if this counts as a 'recipe', as the majority of ingredients are the same as any other cake! I guess I could just a call this a list of instructions? Enjoy, x 
First step, bake a sponge cake - you can use a plain sponge recipe (4oz casting sugar, butter, flour, 2 eggs and some baking powder), but I used a basic sponge mix from the supermarket which needed just 1x egg and 1 or 2 spoonfuls of water - a lot easier & probably a lot cheaper if you do not have the ingredients at home already (which I didn't)! Once the mixture has been made, spoon it into a greased container and cook into the sponge is bouncy and golden!

Step 2 - Once cooled, break up the cake with your hands until it looks like crumble; then add in a couple of tablespoons of ready-made icing mixture (enough to make the sponge stick together, without it being too wet). Grab a small handful of the mixture and roll it into 10-12 suitably small 'cake ball' sizes.

Step 3 - Poke a cake pop stick into the ready-made icing and then into each individual 'cake ball'. Once completed, freeze all cake pops for 15 minutes. This is just to ensure that all sticks are firmly set in the cake pops!

Step 4 - As the pop-sticks are freezing, melt the cooking chocolate for icing. I melted the chocolate in a glass bowl over some very warm water (not boiling) but you can also microwave it! DO NOT ADD WATER TO YOUR CHOCOLATE AS IT MELTS... (I learnt the hard way) This will make the chocolate separate and unusable. 

Step 5 - Once your chocolate has melted, dip each cake pop into a glass of melted chocolate - be careful when moving the stick around - too much swirling cake make the stick become loose. Now apply any sprinkles / decorative extras that you have on top of the melted chocolate. 

Step 6 - leave to dry by placing the sticks into a cake pop stand, and if you don't have one of these then a colander should be just as good. Once set, place the pops in a clear wrapper and tie up with ribbon to make the treats look extra special!
Wa la, you're done!! You should have 10-12 identical and tasty cake pops that have a moist sponge and are covered in chocolate :) Would I make these again? I received a lot of compliments after my first batch, which is always nice, and yes my cake pops looked very cool! I made a coffee, and double chocolate flavour, so you can mess around with the ingredients, but I probably wouldn't make these again as its A LOT of work & money!! Fairy cakes are just as cool & probably go further! 

Have you made cake pops before? Maybe you have a different recipe that you'd like to share? If so please feel free to add a comment. Alternatively, if you have an idea for another blog post id love to hear about it below.

Thanks for reading,

Yvette Marie xo
Instagram 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment